So, you want to know how to make a homemade recurve bow with the help of PVC pipe and fiberglass.
It will be a fun and inexpensive solution to enjoy your deer hunting and the yummy meat of whitetail deer, mule deer, and Elk deer in any deer hunting state of the US.
How to Make a Homemade Recurve Bow of PVC Material?
So, are you excited to learn how to make a PVC recurve bow? It is a straightforward procedure. You can do this easily at your home or can make it in the wild too. If you want to give a recurve bow to your teenage kids who love hunting, try to make this a cheap option. If you are a teenager and want to use a recurve bow, you can read about it here.
It is a straightforward process; you can also involve your kids in making a recurve bow. They will definitely love to make one.
Purchase The Essential Materials
You can get these materials from a local hardware shop, or you can buy these materials online. The list of materials that you should have been in the list below.
You need a 1-inch PVC pipe,
- A heat gun
- Measuring tape
- A hacksaw
- A drill
- A board
- A black marker
- As well as you also need aluminum foil, spray paint, and waxed polyester for the string.
Steps For Making a PVC Recurve Bow
Finally, it’s time to share how to make a recurve bow out of PVC. Follow these steps and make a wonderful recurve bow.
- Do Marking
- Firstly, take a black marker and mark it on the 5 ft PVC pipe.
- The diameter of the pipe should be 1 inch.
- Then mark it in the middle of the pipe.
- The middle of the pipe will be 2.5ft.
- Mark one dot approximately 2 inches away from the middle and do the same to the other part, and mark 2 lines on the end of each side.
- Then, add one at 3 inches and the other at 6 inches.
- Also, mark the same on the other side of the pipe.
Now our marking is complete, and we are ready for further process. Let’s start! But before that, you can read how to make a wooden recurve bow here.
Heat With Heat Gun
The next part involves a heat gun, so prepare one if you want to make things fast and quick.
- Now switch on your heat gun and heat one side of the marking from the one-point to 6 inches mark.
- Don’t forget to cover your pipe with aluminum foil.
- It will help your pipe from burning and protect it from extra heat. Gradually increase your heat when it is sufficiently heated, then press this side with a big cloth and flat it by rubbing your hand. When it is flat, do the same procedure on the other side.
- Heat the sides of the pipe that comes in the middle.
- It will help to make it impressive. Now it is approximately 4 inches flat in the middle, and the sides of the middle are thick.
- It is in a beautiful and definite shape that you will surely love for its aesthetics.
- Now it’s time to bend the 3 inches on both sides that we left at the end of the bow.
- Heat the 3 inches with the heat gun and bend it so the bow will be in recurve shape.
After that, heat the ends and press them to make them flat.
- Now, you can choose a spray paint of your choice and spray some fancy or funky color to your recurve bow.
- Finally, this beauty is ready, and you know how to make a recurve bow out of PVC pipe, but now it’s time to stringent your bow.
Stringent The PVC Recurve Bow
To stringent your bow, you need a hacksaw and a string. For string, you can use parachute material or waxed polyester. Waxed polyester is better and has more strength.
- Take a hacksaw and make a notch at the end of the bow. It should be approximately 1 cm.
- Also, make one at the other end.
- Now measure the string.
- Makes use that the string is more than size.
- Make loops at the ends of the string.
- The size of the loops should be about 3 inches.
- Now attach one loop of the string at one notch and the other loop to the other end.
Finally, your PVC pipe recurve bow is ready, and you learned how to make a recurve bow out of PVC. You can enjoy deer hunting and can gift it to some loved one or a friend.
How to Make a Fiberglass Recurve Bow at Home?
As we are giving you information about making recurve bows with different materials, fiberglass is one of the really good and durable materials that are easily available in the market. So, now you can find out how to make a hunting recurve bow with the help of fiberglass.
Fiberglass is a handy material. It is easy to make a recurve bow with fiberglass and is a cheap option. If we talk about the reliability of this material, it is one of the most durable materials in the market. The recurve bows made up of fiberglass can be used for up to 100 years without any damage, so that is a lot of time, I guess.
Find These Materials to Make Fiberglass Recurve Bow
So, these are the materials you can use to make fiberglass recurve bows.
- Fiberglass cut strips about 2 inches and 5 feet.
- C clamped
- Waxed polyester
- Leather piece
These materials are easily available at any big hardware store as well as you can order these things online and can get your materials to your doorstep without any problem.
Procedure to Make a Fiberglass Recurve Bow
Now we will discuss how to use fiberglass for bow making a recurve bow.
- First, take a stencil of a recurve bow or use a real recurve bow without any string.
- Next, draw the recurve bow’s front side on one fiberglass strip. Next, take another fiberglass strip and draw the recurve bow’s backside.
- Now cut both strips in shape.
- After that, take one piece of fiberglass, put a layer of epoxy on it, and cover the whole side with epoxy.
- Now put the other strip on it and leave it to dry.
- Now attach the c clamps after every 6 inches and shape it like the template.
Leave it for almost 2 days. After two days, remove it from the template and remove all the c clamps. So, your bow is in proper recurve shape.
Enhance The Beauty of Recurve Bow
We all love beautiful stuff, so you need to beautify your bows before you hunt some healthy deer down.
Using different materials can help you improve your bow’s beauty.
- Firstly, take a piece of wood and cut it into about 3 inches D shape and paste it in the middle of the Recurve bow.
- Now use sandpaper to even the wood and make it smoother.
- In the same manner, paste wood at the edges and smoothen it with the help of sandpaper.
Use wool thread and wrap it on the edges. You can also use a leather piece, cut it into a square shape, make small holes on the edges of the leather, and attach it to the middle of the bow with the help of shoe laces. It will give a royal look to your recurve bow.
Stringent a Fiberglass Recurve Bow
Make notches on the edges of the recurve bow.
- You can use any material, like a parachute, waxed fiber, or nylon.
- Measure the string with your bow and cut it.
- Make loops on both edges and attach your string to recurve bow with the help of notches.
- Finally, your solid fiberglass bow is ready for a deer hunting adventure.
Make a Recurve Bow from Fiberglass and PVC Pipes
So, now you know how to make a PVC pipe recurve bow and how to make a recurve bow from fiberglass. Both materials are perfect for making a recurve bow as both have a lot of elasticity and durability. So, if you make a recurve bow with fiberglass and PVC pipes, then it will work in the long run.
Method To Make a Recurve Bow with Fiberglass and PVC Pipes
- So, the wait is over, and here is the complete method of how to make a recurve bow from scratch by using fiberglass and PVC pipes.
- Firstly, collect the material like fiberglass strips, PVC pipes, sandpaper, heat gun, aluminum foil, and spray paint of your choice.
- Cut a wood piece into a D shape to make a handle. Smoothen the wood handle with sandpaper.
Making a Fiberglass Strip
Cut a fiberglass strip that is 1.2m long, 6mm thick, and 3cm wide.
- Attach the wood handle in the middle of the fiberglass strip with the help of epoxy.
- Attach the c clamps that will help to bind the wood handle with a fiberglass strip. Leave it until it dries.
- PVC Pipes
- Now we will use a PVC pipe and will cut it into two pieces for the limbs of the recurve bow.
- We will use a heat gun to heat the PVC pipe.
- After heating it, we will insert a fiberglass strip into it and flatten the PVC pipe to take the width just like the fiberglass strip.
- Flatten both the PVC pipes and heat them up again.
- Then, insert both ends of the fiberglass strip into the PVC pipes.
- Make Recurve Shape Siyah
- Cut two small pieces of wood called Siyah, just like handles, and attach them to the ends of the recurve bow.
- But attach them to fiberglass, not to the PVC pipes.
- Some parts of the Siyah will also be inside the PVC pipes.
- Siyah will be in the shape of a recurve.
- Cover it with beautiful and colorful thread to enhance its beauty. Also, you can use cow leather to cover the handle of the recurve bow. Cut a strip of cow leather and cover the handle with the help of epoxy.
Spray Paint Recurve Bow
- Firstly, smooth the recurve bow and its edges with the help of sandpaper.
- If you do not smooth it, the paint will not stay longer.
- Spray-paint your recurve bow now; it is fully ready for stringent.
How to Attach A String
- Next, we have how to make a recurve bow string.
- Cut a string of your own choice materia
- l and make notches on the ends of the recurve bow with the help of a saw and attach the string۔
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the advantages of PVC pipes for recurve bow making?
PVC pipe has so much elasticity, so it is good to make a recurve bow from PVC pipes, and it can also help you practice your bow hunting.
Is fiberglass a durable material?
Yes, fiberglass is a durable material. If you make a recurve bow from fiberglass, it will be long-lasting.
Can we hunt deer with the recurve bow of PVC pipes and fiberglass?
A recurve bow made with fiberglass and PVC pipes is perfect. These can be used to hunt deer, and you can rely on them.
From where can I buy PVC pipes and fiberglass recurve bow material?
You can buy all the materials from the local hardware shop, and you can purchase these materials online too.
Is this type of recurve bow more expensive?
PVC pipes and fiberglass are really cheap materials. So, if you make recurve bows with this material, they will be inexpensive.
Who makes the best recurve bow PVC pipes or fiberglass?
Both materials are really good for recurve bow making because they are inexpensive, have elasticity, and are durable.
In the end, I just want to say if you want your deer hunting trip without any extra expense, try making a beautiful recurve bow at home with one of these procedures. You can read about how to make a PVC and fiberglass recurve bow here. Also, you can make a PVC bow and a fiberglass bow.